July 2018 Newsletter
Have you or your clients ever discussed a combi-steam oven? Or are you looking for something to include in a kitchen design for the discerning customer?
Come see a live cooking demo July 30th in our new demo kitchen- we’ll go over the features and benefits (LIVE) from brands like Dacor, Miele, Wolf, Thermador, Jennair and Sharp.
The Rivera Brothers
Bringing Families Together
Written by: Interns Lisa Cunningham & Greta Phillips
Anyone who has siblings or close family members knows what sibling rivalry is like. This is especially common in siblings that are close in age. Lucas Rivera and his brother, Dante Rivera, who both work as Installers at Kieffer’s Appliances are also no strangers to this competitive nature. Lucas began working at Kieffer’s Appliances almost two years ago, and soon after, his brother, Dante, also joined the staff. When Lucas originally found out Dante was searching for a job, he quickly encouraged him to consider working at Kieffer’s.
“When my brother was inquiring about a job, I directed him to Mr. Kieffer,” Lucas said. “I knew that he was going to pass the interview too, I mean it’s us.”
The two brothers, who are nine months apart, were raised by their single mother and grew up alongside their younger brother and sister. According to Dante, the brothers developed a sibling rivalry at a young age. “When we were kids we were competitive,” Dante said. “After a while, we came to an agreement where instead of wanting to fight with each other, we sit down and talk,” Dante said. Thanks to their respective jobs at Kieffer’s, they have found a way to turn their competitive tendencies into something that benefits them, their relationship, and their work. They enjoy the time they spend together on the job. “We challenge each other, and we make it fun. When we work together, I know it’s going to be a better day.” Lucas said. Lucas and Dante speak fondly of their time at Kieffer’s and appreciate that John Kieffer himself keeps the importance of family as one of the company’s pillars of success by hosting galas, holiday parties and more for all the employees. “What surprised the most about working here is the gatherings,” Dante said. “At every other company I have worked at, they don’t really do stuff like that. Where he’s like more family oriented and everybody is like just business.” Lucas agrees that this type of welcoming, kind, and personal work environment is not something you find every day. “I never had a boss like that. He can be stern, but like he said he can also be a friend,” Lucas said. Although they do not work with each other every day and have their own families to take care of, Lucas and Dante have been able to maintain a close relationship with each other and make time for one another as much as possible.
Kalamazoo. Go Ahead and Drool.
Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet is the leader in outdoor kitchens. Their grills, pizza ovens, smoker cabinets, refrigeration and cabinetry set the standard for performance, quality and innovation. The unwavering commitment to hand-crafted production sets Kalamazoo’s product line apart from the rest. They offer the most extensive outdoor kitchen collections in the world, with a vast range of options to meet even the most unique needs. Experience a Kalamazoo outdoor kitchen and one thing becomes clear: form and function are united, and every design detail is considered.
Kalamazoo’s ultimate goal is to support you throughout the design journey and create a stunning space that will be a joy to use for years to come.
- The Ultimate High-Performance Grills: The world’s best grills come from Kalamazoo. Discover high powered grilling with the Hybrid Fire Grill that cooks with any combination of gas, wood and charcoal. Harness the rugged intensity of life wood-fired grilling of the Argentinian-style Gaucho Grill.
- Outdoor Pizza Ovens Worthy of Napoli: Reaching temperatures more than 800°F, Kalamazoo’s Artisan Quality Pizza Ovens cook perfect Neapolitan-style pizza in just two minutes.
- The World’s First Undercounter Charcoal Smoker Cabinet: The competition-grade, gravity-fed charcoal Smoker Cabinet by Kalamazoo is designed to be seamlessly integrated into the most sophisticated outdoor kitchens.
- Two Comprehensive Lines of Outdoor Cabinets: Create the outdoor kitchen of your dreams with a choice of two distinctly different collections of outdoor cabinetry tailored to meet your personal style with a variety of different textures, materials, colors and configuration options.
- The World’s First Full Outdoor Kitchen Collection Available in Marine-Grade Stainless Steel: Offering homeowners the option to upgrade their kitchen with additional corrosion resistance for coastal climates.
Miele’s Combi-Steam Oven
Now a Full-Fledged Oven Function
Steam has been used in professional kitchens for years and is becoming all the rage with the discerning high-end residential customer. Miele just launched the XXL Combi-Steam Oven (DGC6760) that has three appliances in one.
The three options:
- Steam Oven:
- As the cooking duration for cooking with steam are the same as in a saucepan, you do not have to change your cooking habits
- External steam heats up the cooking time and steam distribution for even results
- Feel free to use the convection fan as an option to cook your dishes more quickly and evenly
- Conventional Heating and Grilling
- A combination of moist and dry heat for perfect results, particularly when baking or roasting
Some other highlights of the Combi-Steam Oven are the electronic climate control sensor that measures and regulates moisture, automatic menu cooking that allows combine up to three programs for different foods, and the RemoteVision WiFi technology that connects to Miele’s monitoring center to help with any problems.
Miele Combi-Steam ovens are ideal for cooking a wide array of dishes. With your Combi-Steam oven, you can cook various dishes individually or an entire meal all at once! Utilize all of the XXL’s shelves for a comprehensive cooking experience! You can prepare a crisp pastry tart, a juicy roast, and a veggie side dish that’s bursting with flavor, simultaneously.
The Miele combi-steam oven works intuitively in a step-by-step format. With 11 main operating modes at your fingertips, pre-heat is just a touch away. The Master Chef program boasts more than 100 recipes for simple food items from grains and vegetables to exotic foods such as salsify and ostrich.
The XXL Combi-Steam oven will be available as plumbed or non-plumbed. Additionally, a 30” Trim Kit to mount the XXL model over a 30” oven will become available some time in 2018.
The only all-black stainless steel pro range, now on display!
Explore the full Dacor line in live kitchen settings and a variety of applications and kitchen styles, too.
Steam-Roasting and Steam-Baking
For meats that are juicy on the inside, yet brown and crispy on the outside, and bread that is fluffy and moist on the inside, yet flaky on the outside.
Dual-Stack Sealed Brass Burners
From the ultimate power of 22K BTUs to the precision of a delicate 77 BTU controlled simmer, this is truly a range with range.
Wi-Fi-Enables Seven-Inch LCD Control Panel
The touch interface serves as your culinary command center, allowing you to effortlessly swipe through cooking functions, access pre-programmed settings and follow step-by-step recipes.
Not Available For Download
January 2018 Newsletter
Growing Up in the Business
Written by: Katie Marmero
When I was young, I always had the best playhouse, rocket ship, and theater set the school play had ever seen – all from cardboard and all from my family business. Growing up in the appliance business came with those perks, but I put in hard work for each one of those boxes! My other friends didn’t spend time at work with their parents or help out in their offices, but this was the norm for me.
As a child, the warehouse was the best place for hide and seek and dusting the showroom always got me a movie ticket. As a teenager, instead of babysitting like my friends, I was answering phone calls, doing inventory with my dad, or filing bills for my mom. Through college, I worked in the service department over summers and holidays and then moved back after graduation to manage the logistics of the new online sales department. A few years later, the decision was made to sell the business and my work there ended shortly after.
It was a hard transition after 26 years in the business, but I was 100% positive that this was going to change my career path – I was going to use my college degree, or get a new one, or at least find a job in Philadelphia that I can walk to and get rid of my car, right? I had big plans all during a huge job recession. I got some calls from other local businesses that were hiring in retail or administration that knew my family, but that wasn’t what I was looking for.
A few months later, I got a phone call from John Kieffer, and after telling him I wasn’t looking for a retail position, he asked me to come in and talk about other opportunities.
Kieffer’s has outside Trade Account Managers, which are committed to the trade, with direct support. That may sound smart and simple, but it is not the norm for a family-owned appliance business. I had never worked in sales. I came from a service background. I knew the products from listening to sales in the showroom, and model numbers from doing inventory; so why not sales? But stuck in appliances, again? My husband assured me this should be my next step. “You KNOW this” he said. I stopped fighting it, I stopped looking for the big change and started looking forward to something familiar.
The background my family had provided, prepared me to succeed in the industry and the support of a new family pushed me to learn the new skills needed to succeed in service-oriented sales. One of the most interesting parts of the transition was meeting Jace Kieffer, the 3rd generation, and finding out that we had a similar experience growing up in the industry. I have a lovely degree hanging on my wall, and I drive to see clients pretty much every day, so still have the car, but it turns out my biggest plan was in the works well before I knew it.
Does your kitchen have a sleek and modern design where a hood just doesn’t work? Individually crafted and hand-polished, Jennair’s Accolade downdraft’s graceful movement is matched by its singular performance: it powerfully, quietly, and beautifully clears the air; then disappears on command. Let’s look at some of it’s hot features!
- The Accolade makes a bold statement by elegantly rising up to 19 inches and removing all the odors and smells from all types of cookware – from shallow sauté pans to tall stockpots.
- It comes with three exhaust positions that help ensure optimal installation of the unit. It also has four-fan speeds, so it can handle all types of cooking.
- The design of this downdraft is curved; which helps capture a lot of smoke and the 10” round exterior venting enables quiet airflow for efficient performance.
- This downdraft is extremely intuitive. The timed blower clears the kitchen of cooking vapors, even after the food has finished cooking by gradually reducing the speed until it turns off.
- Concealed controls, yet easily accessible, maintain the hood’s elegant aesthetic. Additionally, the LED lighting also adds a refined look to your kitchen.
Seeing is believing! Stop by our Lansdale showroom to test it for yourself.
The How and Why of Connected Appliances: Bosch Feature
The future has arrived. Many manufacturers have already or are planning to integrate smart technology into appliances, and Bosch is no exception. From doing the dishes, to brewing a frothy latte, to keeping an eye on your oven, the Home Connect app allows your customer to remotely monitor and control your Bosch appliances from your smartphone or tablet for greater convenience and safety. Some customers see why this is so important, other’s may need a few examples of how smart appliances can make their life better.
- Coffee that’s ready before you are – the Home Connect app lets you order coffee from anywhere in your home, using your smartphone or tablet. Every second counts in the morning in most households, and having the perfect cup of coffee waiting for you (yes, you can save coffee recipes) is quite the luxury.
- Speaking of busy mornings, if you forgot to start the dishwasher, have no fear; you can start the dishwasher from anywhere. To keep your dishwasher performing at its very best, Home Connect can alert you whenever your dishwasher is running low on rinse aid, detergent tabs and salt—and if you have Amazon, it can even order dish tabs when you’re running low.
- A refrigerator that notifies you when the door is left open. Your Bosch connected refrigerator can notify you on your smartphone or tablet if the temperature increases, in the case that the door didn’t quite close all the way. The Home Connect app also offers helpful tips, like when adding new food to the freezer, help it freeze faster and prevent your existing food from defrosting by activating the SuperFreeze function. With Home Connect, it’s easy to activate SuperFreeze from anywhere. Plus, your freezer will automatically return to normal after a set time, for optimum efficiency.
- Save time by preheating your oven from anywhere. Remote preheat lets you turn on your Home Connect enabled oven remotely using your smartphone. Activate push notifications in the app, and you’ll get the information you need to monitor the entire cooking process. You’ll not only be able to see when the oven is preheated, but you’ll also be notified as soon as your meal is ready. And if you need to adjust the oven temperature, you can simply do it from within the app—a great option for the customer who wants a preheated oven by the time they get home from work or the grocery store. And if you forget to turn off the oven, you can turn it off from anywhere. All that, along with helpful recipe tips and tricks, to up your game in the kitchen.
- Start your laundry, even when you’re on-the-go. With your Bosch connected washing machine, you can start or adjust a load of laundry from anywhere, using your smartphone or tablet. This is especially handy for those last-minute changes in life.
- Turn your smartphone into the ultimate Bosch repair kit. It can be stressful if your home appliances don’t work the way they’re supposed to. Remote diagnostics is here to help. Simply call the Home Connect phone number and make an appointment for a remote diagnosis of your connected appliance. With your permission, Bosch Customer Service can remotely access your appliance, locate the problem area, and provide advice on the best solution. In the event that the problem cannot be solved remotely, a Bosch Service Technician can schedule an in-home appointment to resolve the issue, equipped with the necessary parts already in hand.
According to Statista’s Outlook report, Smart Appliances grew 31% from 2016 to 2017 with more infiltration forecasted year over year—so if you’re interested and want to know more, be sure to reach out to your Kieffer’s Trade Account Manager to stay connected.
Product Feature: 18” Perlick Refrigeration
The design community asked, and Perlick responded. They recently created the industry’s first shallow depth refrigerator. SOTTILE, Perlick’s 18″ Shallow-Depth Wine Reserve’s compact nature gives your customers the ability to store 20+ bottles of wine in a smaller footprint than a traditional 24″ unit. Build into a kitchen island or stack to keep their favorite vintages at the perfect temperature anywhere in the home.
- Industry Exclusive 18″ depth for design flexibility
- 32″ height with leveling legs
- Designed for maximum capacity while adhering to strict 34″ counter height ADA-compliant requirements
- Available with solid stainless-steel door, solid wood overlay door, stainless steel glass door or wood overlay glass door
- Includes five (5) full-extension wine shelves
- Product capacity is 20 wine bottles (750 ml) with room for additional bottles underneath
- Wine Reserve temperature 40° – 68°F (factory set to 45°F)
Kieffer’s Advantage Trade Partner Program
Over 100 years in the business- rest easy knowing you’re referring customers to a reliable appliance partner
Exclusive invitations to industry events
Dedicated Trade Account Manager
Access to special Trade Partner incentive programs
Contact your dedicated sales representative or visist www.kieffers.com/trade to register today
Kieffer’s Operations and Certified Installer TeamNot Available For Download
EuroChef USA, importer of fine Italian cooking products, offers two great lines through Ellsworth Architectural Products: Ilve (ill-vey) and Verona.
Each handcrafted Ilve range can be customized in both color, style and metal finish to become the centerpiece of your kitchen. Designing your unique range is almost limitless by using one of eight standard colors or 220 RAL colors. Choose from Chrome, Brass, Oil-[hand] Rubbed Bronze or Copper handles, trim and knobs. You can even mix two metal finishes on a single range. Every custom-designed range is hand assembled which means you need to allow 10 to 12 weeks from order date for custom orders.
Ilve ranges provide the most functionality of any range, with nine ways to cook on the cooktop surface alone! Each range is equipped with true convection, an electric rotisserie, and a full width warming drawer. Optional accessories include: a pizza stone, steam cooker, BBQ grill, bain-marie, glide racks and more.
Ilve ranges received the prestigious “A” Energy Rating in Europe – the equivalent of the US Energy Star Certification.
And then there is Verona – offering a 36” dual fuel, all-gas or all-electric range in two distinct styles; the “N” or “Classic” Series. These ranges are available in single or exclusive double oven configurations – both with convection! The Classic Series includes glide racks and is designed with sleek knob, handle, door and leg styles.
With a starting price of $2,499, this affordable range is a well-built asset, both in looks and functionality. With the addition of the Verona Chefs Pak, the center burner becomes a pro-style griddle, steam cooker or keep warm area with high quality accessories. This pack is now available at $299 as an instant rebate through December 2017.
To find out more, contact your trade account manager today—or call the showroom at 215-699-3522.
|Current promotions for your clients (through December, 2017)|
- Ilve 48” Majestic Free Hood*
- Verona Chefs Pak $299
- Verona Hood-Save $500 with Range
- Verona Color Range-Save $400
- Combine all three Verona promos for a $1200 instant rebate
*Ask for Rebate Form (Architect and Designers) for complete details – standard colors w/chrome trim only.
You may be familiar with Microwave drawers, but something you may not know is that Sharp manufactures all of the drawers. The real difference lies in different styles and price points.
A few benefits are:
- Microwave Drawers free up valuable space on the counter
- Over-the-range microwaves are not designed for heavier cooking like woks or grills, so drawers are a great option for culinary kitchens
- No lifting heavy hot items from above (especially for kids- speaking of which, most microwave drawers can be pass coded for childproof protection)
- Mounting the drawer flush is just better looking
It is important to note that microwave drawers are also harder to install. Drawers are operated with push buttons to open and close, so you cannot open them manually. Forcing them open will lead to broken tracks and problems; fortunately Kieffer’s has a certified install team that will be able to help you.
Drawer models also lack the option for convection and don’t have a turntable, as the magnetron is located on the roof of the microwave instead of the side wall (which some say is a plus). The other drawback is the price; price points start around $1,000 (ask us about designer and builder programs, though).
There are many options when it comes to speed cooking, microwaves, etc. Your best bet is to call your dedicated Kieffer’s Trade Account Manager to review your specific project.
USG CORPORATION + U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION INDEX
As this Q3 report indicates, the industry is strong and healthy, but not without its challenges. From sentiment on workforce readiness, to the ability to recruit and retain adequate staff levels as well as prioritizing the skill set required for today’s job-site and the ability of a contractor to staff a future pipeline of work, this report provides important insights that will help foster the future success of this industry.
The quarterly spotlight for Q3 focuses on the importance of job-site worker skills. Safety skills are widely recognized as important, and most contractors believe their workers possess these skills. Technical skills and communication skills are considered highly important by 79% of contractors, but less than half consider their workers to have better than adequate communication skills, suggesting a training opportunity.
Do you agree with this report? Do you find it difficult to find skilled workers?
Tell us here.
May 2017 NewsletterDownload PDF
October 2017 Newsletter
April 2016 Newsletter
Learn all about how you can make your own rustic kitchen with Jenn-Air products!Download PDF
January 2016 Newsletter
Marvel, XO Ventilation and more!Download PDF
September 2015 Newsletter
All things GE: Mongoram, Café, Advantum Ovens and more.Download PDF
June 2015 Newsletter
The complete line of Wolf Gourmet Appliances!Download PDF
March 2015 Newsletter
Bosch Benchmark Series and ASKO Appliances.Download PDF
December 2014 Newsletter
Miele Cooking, and Ricotta Cheese Recipe.Download PDF
July 2014 Newsletter
Smeg Appliances, Beer Soup Recipe, and Sub-Zero & Wolf’s Taste Drive.Download PDF
April 2014 Newsletter
Lynx Outdoor Kitchens, Bertazzoni Cooking, and Marvel Undercounter Refrigeration.Download PDF
December 2013 Newsletter
Kieffer’s New Miele Showroom Display, 3 Not-So-Normal appliances, and Homemade Sauce.Download PDF
July 2013 Newsletter
Bosch Dishwashers, Keep Stainless Steel Shiny, Green Goddess Dressing, and Cool Features from GE.Download PDF
March 2013 Newsletter
Wolf All-Gas Range, Thermador Induction Cooktop, Ultimate French Onion Soup, and Celebrating our own Patrice Gelfant!Download PDF
December 2012 Newsletter
AGA Cookers, Front-Load Washers, and Viking’s D3 Series.Download PDF
August 2012 Newsletter
U-Line Undercounter Refrigeration, Make-Up Air, Your Guide to Olive Oil, and BlueStar French Door OvensDownload PDF
March 2012 Newsletter
WoodStone Pizza Ovens, Wolf Steam OvensDownload PDF
November 2011 Newsletter
Miele Futura Dishwashers, Perlick Undercounter Refrigeration, and Halloween Pictures!Download PDF