- 4 ears corn, grilled until a bit blackened
- 1 TBL. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 TBL. garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- 6 C low salt chicken stock
- 1 red bell, pepper, roasted, peeled and diced*
- 3/4 C. heavy cream
- 3 scallions-sliced
- Remove corn from cob-save cobs
- Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onions until translucent , then add garlic and chipotle and cook for one more minute.
- Add corn and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add salt, pepper, cobs and stock and simmer for 30 min, stirring occasionally
- Roast pepper, peel and seed. Roughly chop.
- Pour ½ C of cream into a blender, add pepper and blend until very smooth. Strain and put onto a squeeze bottle.
- Remove cobs and discard. Blend soup and strain (if a very silky soup is desired). Return soup to the pot, add ¼ cream and simmer on low for 15 min to reduce slightly.
- Gently reheat soup, decorate with pepper sauce and scallions and serve.
*To roast a pepper: this can be done on the grill on an open gas flame or in the broiler. Char the pepper until it is black all over-you will need to turn it several times to accomplish this. When it is black all over, put it, hot, into a plastic bag and seal-or in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. The residual heat will help steam off the skin. When the pepper has cooled somewhat, peel/scrap off the skin, cut in 1/2 and scrap out the seeds and ribs and cut off the stem.